Hey Mamas, during this challenging time, we hope that you are hanging strong, enjoying some extra family time, and spreading love. We are going to do our part to keep bringing you easy, nutritious, and delicious recipes weekly to help you get through this. We are in this together!
That being said, I took a deep dive into my pantry this week and came up with this vegetarian chili recipe (thanks to lentils being on sale at the grocery store last week!). It is protein-packed thanks to the legumes, has a burst of sweet thanks to the sweet corn and a touch of brown sugar (optional), and it includes our favorite ingredient: Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce.
Enjoy this comforting recipe for days, as the leftovers are even better the next day.
Stay safe and healthy,
The Mamas at Mama Jess
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups dry green lentils
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 jar Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce
- 2 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can of corn
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, add veggie broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low to let simmer. The process should take about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is gone. Stir occasionally.
- In a saute pan, add olive oil, onion, garlic, and corn to saute for about 5-6 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- After the lentils have cooked, add all of the ingredients into the large sauce pan with the lentils.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Allow chili to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to blend flavors.
- Serve with sour cream (or Greek yogurt!), cheddar cheese, oyster crackers, jalapenos...whatever you have available.
mama jess https://mamajess.com/