While it’s a smaller Thanksgiving this year, we are still filling our table with wholesome, hearty foods. What I love about this recipe: it’s only a few (wholesome!) ingredients and it whips up in about 30 minutes, perfect for a day of recipe.
Because sweet potatoes are so naturally sweet, all you need is about a tablespoon or two of maple syrup in the crumble on top and a touch of salt to really bring out that flavor. I used some bacon bits for that salt, but I also added in a dash to the mashed sweet potatoes!
Ok! This is a quick post because it’s such a quick and easy recipe! Between the creamy sweet potatoes and the crunchy bacon, pecan, maple syrup crust this recipe completely embodies autumn coziness. Now it’s time to get back to the food prep…
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crispy
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp cinnamon (divided)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add in prepped sweet potatoes. Boil for about 25 minutes, or until tender enough to pierce through with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, add pecans and bacon slices. Grind until they form a crumble. Put into a bowl and mix in maple syrup and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, add them into a blender with the coconut milk, nutmeg, 2 remaining tsp of cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Blend until potatoes are a puree and easy to spread.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to an oven safe casserole dish (8×8 would work great!) and top evenly with the crumble.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have set.
- Serve warm and enjoy!