Zucchini Lasagna with Mama Jess Bean Good
Ah, zucchini lasagna. It is delicious and you feel great after eating it compared to the food coma regular lasagna gives you…BUT…it takes a bit of time. I’d put it on my Slow Food Sunday menu. Our Mama Jess Bean Good Pasta Sauce is PERFECT for all lasagnas because it’s a thick & cream sauce. Bean Good is never watery and that’s exactly the secret to zucchini lasagna….remove excess water!
We found a fabulous recipe on-line at SkinnyTaste.com for Zucchini Lasagna and decided not to duplicate efforts! Click here for Gina’s recipe. We made some substitutions listed below to make it SCD Diet Compliant and as healthy as possible. One other time saving tweak: roasting zucchini ‘noodles’ instead of grilling them.
salting zucchini noodles first – remove excess water
roasted zucchini noodles
SCD Diet Compliant Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teas. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teas. ground fennel
- 1 teas. oregano
- 1 24oz. jar Mama Jess Bean Good Pasta Sauce
- 3 medium zucchini
- 15 oz. farmers cheese or Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. Havarti cheese, shredded or use Mozzarella
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice zucchini 1/8 inch thick. Best method is a mandoline slicer. Caution when using!
- Place zucchini noodles on paper towel and sprinkle with 1/2 teas. sea salt. Blot off excess water after 10 minutes. Place noodles on wire rack on top of baking sheet, bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. This will soften noodles and help remove more water so lasagna is not runny.
- In a large pan, heat oil and sauté onion & garlic. Add ground turkey and spices, cook through for 5 minutes. Add the whole jar of Mama Jess Bean Good sauce and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Add the farmers or ricotta cheese to bowl with 1 beaten egg, and parmesan cheese.
- Begin your layers. Coat baking dish with a layer of meat sauce, layer the noodles, the cheese filling and then sprinkle with havarti/mozzarella cheese. Repeat: sauce/noodles/cheese filling/shredded cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and back for last 5 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Gina @ www.skinnytaste.com
mama jess http://mamajess.com/
our Havarti cheese version – YUM!
eat your veggies,