Looking for a vegetarian meatball alternative? Well, look no further! These roasted veggie meatballs are so decadent, you will prefer these over the traditional ones! Instead of ground meat, these are composed of roasted veggies, tender farro, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese (an A+ combo, let me tell you).
The beauty of these “meatballs” is how simple they are to make and how they fit perfectly into so many dishes! Make them ahead of time to really be prepared for the week, and top them with Mama Jess Sauce over a dish of zoodles and you have a wholesome, delicious meal!
This recipe is originally from Goop, but we made it our own by topping it with our sauce! Let us know how you like it.
Xoxo, Claire and the Mama’s at Mama Jess
Vegetarian Roasted Veggie "Meatballs"
- 1 eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving!)
- Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400
- On a baking sheet, add prepared eggplant, cauliflower, bell pepper, and garlic in an even layer. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Roast for 45 minutes, turning halfway, until the veggies are tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, cook the farro by bringing a medium pot of water to boil before adding farro to cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool when done.
- When the roasted veggies and the farro are cooled, add them to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not smooth. Put mixture into a large bowl and add breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and farro.
- Shape mixture into balls, about 2 inches in diameter. Space them 1 inch apart on a parchment lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly browned and crispy on the outside.
- Serve with Mama Jess sauce and a bit of extra Parmesan over zoodles (or with anything you want!).
Adapted from Goop
mama jess http://mamajess.com/