Sometimes, two simple sets of ingredients come together and make the most delicious dish. Case in point: honey mustard sauce, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and in today’s recipe, Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes. A perfect blend of spices, veggies, and natural sweetness…you will be craving this for days to come.
First, you start with the veggies. Roast the corn with only salt, cumin, and chili powder in a sauté pan and stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until it has browned a bit. Set aside in a bowl with the rinsed black beans. Next sauté the onions in the butter until they are translucent. Add them to the bowl.
While those are sautéing, use a fork to poke holes into the sweet potatoes, and microwave them each for 6 minutes. Remove carefully and let cool to the touch. When cool, slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out insides, adding them to the bowl of other ingredients. Place potato skins on a baking sheet face up.
Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the shredded cheese, into the bowl with the corn, beans, onions, and mashed sweet potato and mix well with a spoon before scooping it into the sweet potato boats, filling as much as you want! Top with shredded cheese and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is crusty and bubbling on top.
This is great to eat right away, or save it for leftovers to top with a fried egg in the morning! Either way, you will be wanting this recipe more!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Vegetarian Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of corn, dried
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 8oz can of chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheese of your choice
- ¼ sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Chili Powder
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pan, roast the corn over medium heat with nothing but the spices, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the corn starts to char. Set aside in a large bowl with the prepped black beans.
- In the same pan, melt the butter and sauté the onions until translucent. Add to the large bowl.
- While those are sautéing, use a fork to poke several holes into the sweet potatoes before microwaving them separately for 6 minutes each. Remove carefully and allow to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool, slice them in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the insides, leaving only a ¼ inch thick layer of potato skin. Put the scooped-out potatoes in the ingredient bowl.
- To the large bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, peppers, and more of the spices, if you prefer. Stir until they are completely combined.
- Lay potato skins on a baking sheet and scoop the mixture into the skins, stuffing them as much as you would like, and top with shredded cheese.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve immediately or save for leftovers and enjoy with a fried egg for breakfast!
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
mama jess http://mamajess.com/