When it comes to classic pasta dishes, baked ziti is up there right next to spaghetti and meatballs in my opinion. Now the jury is out on if this is a “classic” Italian recipes or not, but no matter what, it is delicious. The best part about this particular recipe is, other than being doused in Mama Jess sauce, it is a one skillet recipe, which makes clean up a breeze.
If you haven’t figured out, I’m a big fan of making recipes easy. You may recognize this “one pot pasta” technique from our Shrimp Diavolo recipe, it makes cooking and cleanup so much more simple.
The other great part? This is a PERFECT meal prep recipe! Honestly, sometimes pasta is even better after a day or two of “marinating” in the fridge. I would recommend spooning a little extra Mama Jess sauce on top before you reheat so it doesn’t taste dry, but after that it will be delicious.
I hope this recipe helps solve some dinner dilemmas this week–you don’t want to miss this one!
Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Three Cheese Baked Ziti
- 1 lb ziti, uncooked
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 8 oz ricotta
- ¼ white onion (small diced)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jar Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a cast iron skillet (or any oven-proof skillet), warm up olive oil
- Add in garlic and onion, sautéing until fragrant (about 2 minutes)
- Pour water into skillet and add ziti
- Allow ziti to cook, uncovered, and water to boil down completely (about 15-18 minutes). When it’s done, turn off the flame
- Meanwhile, if the ricotta is not whipped, place it in a bowl and combine with 1 egg, salt and pepper, whipping well with a spatula or fork
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees F
- When the water has boiled down and the ziti has cooked enough (it’s going to go in the oven too, so it can be a little under done), liberally spoon Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce over the top of the skillet, making sure to get it into all of the nooks and crannies
- Evenly sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top
- Add the parmesan cheese on top of that
- Top with basil flakes and red pepper flakes, if you so choose
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is brown and bubbling, about 15-20 minutes, depending how much cheese you put on top
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Pro Tip - this is even better the next day, so this is the perfect meal prep idea!
mama jess http://mamajess.com/