I found this gem of a recipe on Instagram, and it has been adapted from Cookie and Kate’s recipe that she posted earlier this month! These spaghetti squash bowls are a great way to incorporate a bunch of veggies into your day and enjoy a new spin on a classic “pasta” recipe.
Before you start, if you aren’t familiar with cooking spaghetti squash, I recommend THIS video on how to properly prepare it. In fact, the longest part of the recipe is prepping and initially baking the spaghetti squash. So pop it in the oven, get some work done, and come back to finish the rest of the simple (and quick!) parts of the recipe before you enjoy it.
The really cool thing about this dish is that you can add so much to it. I have spinach in there, but you could also add sauteed mushrooms, onions, even red peppers if you want. So many variations on the same, delicious base…just don’t forget your Mama Jess Organic Pasta Sauce!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- 2 whole spaghetti squash
- 16 oz raw spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ jar Mama Jess sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Prep the spaghetti squash but cutting off the ends and cutting the entire squash in half. Place on a baking sheet and using a spoon, scrape out the seeds from each half.
- Lightly coat the insides of each half squash in olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until the skin has a golden color to it and/or you are able to easily pierce it with a fork.
- While the squash bakes, sauté the spinach, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small pan, until the spinach is wilted. Set aside.
- When the squash is ready, carefully (don’t burn yourself!) use a fork to scrape the inside of each half and gently loosen the “spaghetti” from the shell. Leave it inside the shell, which will create a bowl.
- Divide the sautéed spinach and garlic evenly between the four squash halves.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of Mama Jess sauce (or more!) on each of the halves, covering the top of the “bowl”
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese (or more!) on top of the sauce
- Finally, top with basil flakes, and broil for 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Adapted from Cookie and Kate
mama jess http://mamajess.com/