It’s been a busy few weeks as we approach Christmas, so let’s take it down a notch and make this deliciously tangy and hearty winter soup! I tried this recipe for the first time this week and it made me feel so cozy inside. We are expecting a cold front in Chicago, just in time for Christmas, so this soup will warm you right up!
With the smoky chorizo, tangy lemon, creamy coconut milk, and soft potatoes, it is just what we need this holiday season! This recipe was originally created by Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest, and you can find the original recipe HERE (we adapted it slightly to make it dairy free).
Enjoy this delicious recipe and check out more of our soups to enjoy this holiday season!
Claire and the mamas at Mama Jess
Smoky Chorizo, Kale, and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound smoked Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Several Baby Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 6 chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4-6 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chorizo and onions, and brown all over, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and cayenne, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes, toss to coat. Add the broth and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the potatoes from the soup and either mash or puree them in a blender, then sir them back into the soup along with the kale and coconut milk. Cook until the kale is wilted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the soup hot and enjoy!