In my opinion, the best part about fall is that squash season and soup season collide. After last year’s success with Vegan Butternut Squash Soup, we are back at it again with Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup! This recipe is vegan, gluten free, sugar free, oil free…and so darn delicious.
Here’s what else we have packed in there for you:
- Sweet taters: these guys are practically one of the most perfect veggies. High in Fiber an Vitamin A, and they have a much lower glycemic index than white taters!
- Pumpkin: another Vitamin A superstar! Also high in Vitamin C, Potassium, and Phosphorus.
- Coconut milk: Great source of MCTs, which did you know can help you fight viruses and infections?
- Onion and Garlic: some of our favorite alliums! Alliums are awesome medicinal foods that boost immune health by lowering inflammation and cell damage (AKA they are the best prebiotic food!)
Now, imagine all of that AND it’s ready in under and hour with plenty of leftovers to enjoy all week! This is the perfect recipe for the busy holiday season when you just want something warm and cozy to enjoy after a busy day of holiday shopping and meal prepping.
Enjoy this cozy and nutritious recipe, let us know if you make it!
Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 14oz cans of pumpkin puree (no sugar added)
- 2 14oz cans of coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over a medium flame, add the onions and garlic along with 2-3 tbsp of veggie broth. Allow broth to reduce and onions to get soft and translucent.
- Add in spices and stir them into the veggies.
- Pour in the rest of the veggie broth and add the potatoes and pumpkin puree into the pot. Stir well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat, cover, and along to simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- When the timer is done, add the coconut milk and stir well to combine.
- If you have an immersion blender, this is a great tool to blend everything together. Otherwise, take turns pouring the soup into a blender and pureeing everything together. Now is a great time to taste test and decide if you need to add any extra spices.
- Serve warm and enjoy all winter long!