The best kind of comfort food is the kind that makes you feel warm and cozy while also being healthy and nutritious! We borrowed a recipe from our friend’s blog: jessicaschmidley.com. Jessica is great at picking out traditionally classic recipes and giving them a healthy twist that is still delicious! And what is Zpaghetti you ask? Why Zoodles Spaghetti of course 🙂
So we put a little twist on her Veggie Meatballs in Marinara and added Mama Jess Organic Pasta Sauce (because our sauce is certified Paleo as well!). The trick with these veggie meatballs is if you overcook them, you can easily break up the meatballs and add them into the Mama Jess sauce to form a chunky bolognese sauce.
Why we love this recipe: it is a great way to add in a few extra veggies to our everyday diets (both in the meatballs and in the sauce!) and we love having a delicious alternative to a traditional recipe for our Paleo friends! Find the entire recipe below, and if you make it at home, please send us a picture!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Paleo Zpaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed or conventional 80/20 beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 oz baby portabella or white mushrooms, cleaned
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mama Jess Organic Garden Pasta Sauce
- Spiralized zucchini noodles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, salt and pepper to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse just until everything is minced, but stop before the mixture turns to a paste
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, veggie mixture, and spices together. Mix just until the veggies are distributed, over mixing can make the meatballs tough.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon, or your hands, form the meatballs and place them evenly spaced on a parchment lined baking sheet. The smaller you make the meatballs, the faster they will cook in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, on the middle rack of the oven.
- Meanwhile, saute the zucchini noodles with olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly soft.
- In a shallow sauce pan, warm up your desired amount of Mama Jess Organic Garden Pasta Sauce.
- When the meatballs are finished, enjoy the zucchini noodles and meatballs topped with Mama Jess Sauce and enjoy!
Adapted from jessicaschmidley.com
mama jess http://mamajess.com/