Summer is upon us, and if kids are still like I was many years ago, having snacks at the ready is imperative. Between baseball games, swimming lessons, day camp, and running around at the park, they work up quite an appetite! The important part is to find a balance between a snack that they will love and a snack that you will love for them (ahem, healthy). Today, I am featuring a new favorite recipe for something that checks both boxes: Mini Taco Stuffed Peppers.
You already know that taco-anything is already a win, now pack it in veggies, dash on some cheese, and dip it in a fresh avocado crema and this is a game changer.
I like making a bunch of these at once and serving them warm with the avocado crema (this is fantastic on anything). Then, if they aren’t all eaten up immediately, they are easy to pop in the microwave and enjoy later!
Snacks at the ready is the summer game, and now, Mama, you are ready to play.
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Mini Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, minced
- ¼ white onion, small diced
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 12 mini sweet bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and deseeded
- ½ cup Mexican shredded cheese
- ¼ red onion, small diced
- 1 jalapeno, small diced (optional!)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan, warm up olive oil before adding in mushrooms and white onion to sauté until onions are translucent.
- Next, add in ground beef and taco seasoning to brown. When done, remove from heat.
- Place halved peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet, cut side up.
- Fill with taco meat and cover in shredded cheese
- Bake for 15-18 minutes
- While peppers bake, make the avocado crema
- When peppers are done, allow to cool for a little bit before garnishing with extra cilantro and red onion
- Serve warm, with avocado crema, and enjoy!
- In a small blender or food processor, add all of the ingredients in and puree until a creamy texture has been reached.
- Serve in a small dipping bowl, or pour over the top of the taco stuffed peppers.
mama jess http://mamajess.com/