Quinoa is a fabulous grain. It’s certainly Mr. Popular right now – we will expand on it in later posts, but for now we think you should try this delicious grain & recipe. Real quick – why we LOVE quinoa: It contains all 9 essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) and it has two times the fiber of most grains. That is great news for those of us that are vegans & vegetarians. We can get plenty of the desired protein from grains & veggies – thank you Mother Nature!
quinoa mini muffins
- 1 cup quinoa - uncooked
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped onion, very fine
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded low-fat
- 2 teas. minced garlic
- 2 T dried basil
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ teas. salt
- 1 teas. paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup mama jess garden good for dipping
- cook quinoa with 1 ¼ cup water. bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- mix all ingredients, except pasta sauce in mixing bowl.
- distribute mixture into greased mini-muffin tin. fill each muffin to top, pressing down to compact a little.
- bake for 15 -18 minutes – edges start to get golden and crisp. cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. serve with Mama Jess Garden Good Pasta Sauce! delicious!
mama jess http://mamajess.com/
Experiment with adding other ingredients, like sun-dried tomatoes, sausage, pepperoni, or mushrooms. Just be sure to chop everything very fine so muffins hold together.