We did it – we hopped on the cauliflower bandwagon. We think these are about the healthiest recipe out there – you need the cheese but we tried to use it sparingly. Also – don’t exclude the fresh garlic! It’s a must for these Italian styled breadsticks. They take over 45 minutes to bake, but believe us, it’s worth the wait! Enjoy your veggies!
cauliflower breadsticks with mama jess garden good
- 1/3 of large head of cauliflower
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- mama jess garden good sauce for dipping
- preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper so that the excess paper hangs over the sides. spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
- to “rice” the cauliflower, grate it on a cheese grater until you have about 1 1/2 cups of riced cauliflower. place in microwavable-safe bowl and microwave uncovered until soft (about 6-8 minutes), stirring occasionally. cool slightly.
- add garlic, egg, 3/4 of shredded cheese, 1/8 tsp. of each spice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to bowl of softened cauliflower. stir to combine then spread mixture in the prepared loaf pan.
- bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown. line another baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and then use the old parchment paper from loaf pan to lift the loaf out of the pan and carefully flip it over onto the lined baking sheet so that the bottom is on top. bake this side until golden, about 10 minutes.
- preheat the broiler. cut the loaf cross-wise into 8 sticks. slightly separate the pieces and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top along with the remaining spices. broil until cheese is melted and golden in spots, about 2 minutes. let cool about 10 minutes after removing from oven so the crust can harden a bit.
- pictured cold in a lunch - delicious served warm or cold!
mama jess http://mamajess.com/
eat your veggies,