As the weather cools down, we are here to warm you back up with some Chipotle Sweet Potato Taquitos! I love anything that combines veggies into the main course: delicious, nutritious, and super easy to make. Plus, it is easy to make a large batch of these to enjoy after sports practices or between e-learning classes.
The sweet potato and corn provide a touch of sweet to the spicy chipotle peppers. Not super into spicy? Here is how you can adjust the heat:
- I buy a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. When I say small, it’s about a 4oz can. I separate the peppers onto a cutting board and put the adobo sauce (liquid gold) into a bowl. The adobo sauce usually has some errant pepper seeds (a bit of heat) and enough smokey flavor to stand on its own, if that is the heat level you are looking for.
- If you want a bit more heat (let’s say medium), use a knife and a spoon to remove the seeds from the chipotle peppers. Mince the peppers up and put them into the bowl with the sauce. (This is my preferred method!)
- Feeling very spicy? Simply mince up the peppers, seeds and all!
All you need for these taquitos is a few ingredients, 45 minutes, and some hungry eaters. Enjoy!!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Chipotle Sweet Potato Taquitos
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 24 small corn tortillas
- 1 4oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, add sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil, and spices. Stir to combine, and cover with a lid. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add in garlic, beans, corn, minced chipotle peppers, and sauce, stirring well to combine. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Working in batches, warm up corn tortillas (either in the oven or microwave). You can skip this step, but make sure not to fill your taquitos too much, otherwise they will burst! Fill each corn tortilla with 1-2 tbsp of sweet potato filling, rolling on a baking sheet and placing seam side down. Repeat until all of the taquitos have been made.
- Brush the tops of the taquitos with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the tortillas are crispy and golden.
- Serve with chipotle hot sauce, avocado, or greek yogurt (optional!).