I have found that, with all of this time at home, I have been able to spend more time pouring through my cookbooks and saved recipes on Pinterest to really narrow down those recipes that looked delicious, but I had never tried them before.
The first one that caught my eye, mostly because it’s inspired by a favorite dish in my family and because it is full of pantry staples, was this recipe for Chicken Parmesan Meatballs by What’s Gaby Cooking. I love her simple recipes full of wholesome ingredients. Did we mention that these are stuffed with mozzarella cheese? Absolute heaven.
We made ours with Mama Jess Garden organic pasta sauce and served the meatballs over zoodles for those extra servings of veggies that we all could use! These are such a fun take on the traditional chicken parmesan recipe without sacrificing any flavor. Plus I hold true to the thought that everything is more exciting in meatball form: examples one and two.
Enjoy these and tag us on Instagram or Facebook if you make these at home!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/3 breadcrumbs (I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, but if you don’t have those, add the following seasonings):
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- Small (bocconcini) mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 jar Mama Jess Garden organic pasta sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, and all of the spices. Carefully combine with your hands until ingredients are evenly mixed
- Form the ground chicken mixture into meatballs, about the size of a golf ball
- Insert a small mozzarella ball into the center of each meatball, reforming the mixture around the cheese. You should not be able to see the mozzarella at all.
- Dredge each meatball lightly in flour, tapping off excess
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a cast iron skillet (or another oven safe skillet) heat up half of the olive oil until hot. Add half of the meatballs, allowing to brown for 3-4 minutes, turning as needed. When done, remove from skillet and brown the rest of the meatballs.
- When all of the meatballs are browned, add the Mama Jess Garden organic pasta sauce to the skillet. Nestle all of the meatballs into the skillet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!