Are you ready for a healthy recipe that is filling and oh so satisfying? Enter this Cauliflower Baked “Ziti” filled with protein, veggies (both in the dish and in our Mama Jess Sauce!), yummy cheese, and lots of spices. This is the perfect comfort food for these chilly days to keep you nice and warm (because apparently winter has come early). So, grab a jar of Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce and let’s get to work!
The trick to this recipe, as recommended by Delish is to break the cauliflower up into small florets (I didn’t make mine small enough!) and to blanch them. That way you get these perfectly tender florets that aren’t mushy. You can find the entire recipe below.
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Cauliflower Baked "Ziti"
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ jar Mama Jess Garden Organic Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup whipped ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Blanch the cauliflower florets by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Boil the cauliflower for 3 minutes, strain, and cool cauliflower in another bowl full of ice water for 3 minutes. Strain the cauliflower one more time and lay on a towel to dry.
- In a sauté pan, add the oil and onion, sautéing them until they are translucent. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- In the same pan, add the ground beef, browning it until there is no more pink. Drain, and return to pan.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and oregano to the beef, onions, and garlic, combining evenly throughout the ingredients.
- Finally, add the now dry cauliflower and stir until everything is evenly distributed
- In a baking dish, layer the cauliflower mixture on the bottom, top with dollops of whipped ricotta, and sprinkle some ribboned fresh basil.
- Layer the cauliflower and ricotta once more, topping with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted (a bit more if you want it brown and bubbly!)
- Top with more ribboned fresh basil, serve hot, and enjoy!
Adapted from Delish
mama jess http://mamajess.com/