I love the idea of bringing a bunch of ingredients together that result in a medley of flavors in each bite. Doesn’t that sound delightful? Well, then you will love today’s recipe: Barbecue Chicken Protein Bowls. For those days you are craving Chiptole, but better…and homemade!
I went the simple route and shredded an organic rotisserie chicken rather than baking chicken breasts and shredding them. This saves so much time and adds so much flavor! This is also a great recipe if you have extra chicken leftover from dinner. I also purchased a coleslaw bag, but I made my own Whole 30 approved mayo-based sauce. More in the ingredients, below!
This protein bowl is a mix of tangy barbecue chicken, pillowy roasted sweet potatoes, creamy coleslaw, and crunchy pickles! I loved eating it cold (especially on a warm fall day or even into the warmer months) and mixing everything together, so each bite was pure perfection.
What other bowls do you enjoy eating? Comment below to give us an idea and we will do our best to make them!
Xoxo, Claire and the Mamas at Mama Jess
Barbecue Chicken Protein Bowls
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 bag shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup Whole 30 friendly mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Whole 30 friendly barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pickles (as many as you want!)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet, evenly separated. Top with cinnamon, chili powder, olive oil, and salt to taste and toss to evenly coat each slice. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning sweet potatoes halfway. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, use two forks to shred the rotisserie chicken. Top with barbecue sauce and a touch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, add mayo, apple cider vinegar, and a bit of salt and pepper. Whisk together until creamy, then add shredded coleslaw bag, combining until the coleslaw is covered evenly in the sauce.
- Now it’s time to plate! In a bowl, add barbecue chicken, sweet potatoes, and cole slaw…and don’t forget a few pickle chips to go on top!