why organic

organic, it's important to us

Organic has become increasingly popular as people focus more on making healthy eating choices. But it’s not always clear why this is an important factor in our food. Here’s why Mama Jess has chosen to source only organic ingredients.

  • Organic produce is grown without pesticides, chemical fertilizers, herbicides or preservatives.
  • Products with the Organic USDA seal (which you will see on Mama Jess jars) means a third-party has verified the products are organic and the farmers have followed strict guidelines to obtain certification.
  • What’s the difference between “organic” and “100% organic”? Products labeled “Organic” must contain a minimum of 95% organic ingredients. The remaining 5% must meet additional restrictions, including no genetically modified organisms (GMOs). The “100% Organic” label requires a product to contain 100% organic ingredients.
  • Why not use 100% organic ingredients? Some ingredients, such as sea salt, are not organic. However, to be used in a certified-organic product, these ingredients (even in tiny amounts) must comply with strict regulations.
  • Organic produce is more nutritious than non-organic produce because they are grown in rich, living soil that has not been contaminated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides.